Monday 27 September 2010

In The Can

clapper board bought as a joke gift. No one's laughing any more

Principal photography on Little Things was done on Saturday and Sunday and I am absolutely fucking knackered. Partly because of the amount of work I had to do and partly from lying in bed each night before shooting with the words "Oh Shit Oh Shit Oh Shit Oh Shit Oh Shit Oh Shit" going round and round in my head. Despite the exhaustion I am really pleased with the results. I am delighted with the amount of hard work that the cast and crew put in for absolutely no reward other than the sandwiches and teas that were supplied by my good lady wife. So before I go on I'd like to do a shout out to all my cast and crew:

  • Rachel Moynihan
  • Peter Moynihan
  • Chris Jones
  • Lisa Solari
  • Richie Nolan
  • Arun Parmar
  • Andrew Baker
  • Amy Richardson
  • Amy's mate John
  • Richie's friend Melisa
left to right: Peter, me, Arun, Rach and Chris

Their selfless enthusiasm and devotion to the project will make writing the credits for this movie a total ball-ache. Rach worked collecting agreement signatures, loading the clapperboard, catering, props and based on her script knowledge made performance suggestions. My brother held the boom, worked the camera, was and extra, wrote the shooting schedule with me and made sure I picked up all the shots I needed. Lisa, as well as being in the main cast, loaded the clapperboard and made the tea. Chris, as well as taking the main role, also held up a light reflector for the close ups of others. This is tip of the iceberg stuff. I'm toying with the idea of putting the credits up as a fucking Venn diagram. 

"Excuse me, can you please spare some change?" me, Lisa and Richie

Despite the hard work, and happy results, it wasn't all smooth sailing. For a start the weather was not in my favour. I have officially become one of those miserable bastards who complains that it's too sunny. Sounds mental, but harsh sunshine really made things difficult. It throws harsh, defined shadows that messed with the light balance on the camera and their movement through the day is likely to completely fuck up my continuity. The view finder of the camera was also really poor at picking up how the final picture would look. Colours that looked subdued in the viewfinder were harshly washed out with sunshine on the final picture and it really missed out on what was in the shadows. One shot done on Saturday had to be completely redone on Sunday, Why? Because completely unnoticed by me when I was filming, the boom was completely visible in the shot. This might not be so bad except for the fact that Arun, who was holding the boom at the time, was completely visible as well! Not just his arm! All of him! Just standing there! You'd think I'd have noticed that! I had to make a decision early on. I decided to let the performances carry the movie. My experience so limited with the camera, that photography was always going to be the weak link. As long as the story and characters are compelling, then for my first work I'm prepared to accept less than perfect photography and continuity.

Loads more happened on the shoot and over the next while you will be hearing more and more, not just from me, but hopefully from some guest bloggers from my cast and crew. I can't wait for you all to see the final film. 

Mark out

"My Mamma always said like a box of chocolates..." Andrew and Chris

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on finishing the shoot! Good luck with your post. I'm enjoying the blog!

    ReplyDelete