Tuesday 5 October 2010

Short blog post today from the dogsbody.

The great thing about any (reasonably) large scale artistic project like “Little Things” is how much people are willing to help out and give of their time. I’ve already gushed about how great the crew and cast of “Little Things” were as well as the helpfulness of the staff and management of Y Pentan in Mold.

A little while ago I was speaking to my friend Kevin Brew, the bass player of the fantastic (and tragically as yet unsigned) I Phoenix. We had a bit of banter about the production of Little Things and he mentioned that they had previously scored a short movie and would be interested in doing the same for “Little Things”. I’ve seen them live a number of times and I know the guys are very talented musicians and song-writers so I was very excited about the prospect of getting them on board.

Armed with a Vimeo link to the movie they previously scored and mp3s from their debut EP “Cause and Effect” I contacted the great director to get his take on the idea. The original plan for the score was to take existing music from other unsigned bands (with permission of course) and trawl the Internet’s collection of Creative Commons music to try and cut together a score post editing[1]. Needless to say the prospect of having some talented musicians write a score specifically for “Little Things” held great appeal for both us. Having listened to their music Mark agreed that they could bring a lot to the project and so an email was drafted to I Phoenix to commission them for the work. I spoke to Kevin this morning and they have agreed to compose and perform the original score for “Little Things”. I’ll be sitting in with them as they do it and although I will have very little input I expect it to be a whole lot of fun.

@Mark, I’m no longer happy with an AD1 credit, after putting this together I want Associate Producer too :)

Come back soon to see the continuing production report and my take on the scoring process for a short movie.



[1] Note: There is a surprising amount of excellent free music out there under Creative Commons. If this is something that interests you visit Jamendo.

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm, I get a Producer credit for running around like a blue-arsed fly getting everything sorted for months, you want a Producer credit for going for a pint with your mate. Let's think. Fuck off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least I didn't mention the smouldering eyes :)

    ReplyDelete