Monday 15 November 2010

Rough as a Bears Arse

Those of you that follow me on Facebook and Twitter, which is probably most of you, will know that this weekend I finished the first rough cut of Little Things. There are some bits of tidying up to do and the sound needs an overhaul, but as a rough cut, I'm really proud of the result.

As it stands, the cut is very close to the script. That'll be the result of me being the writer, director and editor. I've had this film made in my head for a long time, writing and storyboarding it were a method of showing other people what the film in my head was. Shooting it, was just collecting the elements of the film together and editing it was just trimming out the bits that weren't needed. So now I have a close representation of the film I've been imagining for about a year and a half. Advantage of this is that "Little Things" will eventually be exactly the film that I wanted to make.

Disadvantage of this is that if "Little Things " is shite, then it's entirely my fault. Scary thought.

Next steps. Firstly, music. As it stands at the moment, the music in the rough cut are Radiohead and Elbow songs. These convey the moods nicely, but I would never get clearance to use them in a public performance in a million years. I've handed a copy to my brother in Dublin who is showing the rough cut to the guys from I Phoenix who are composing the music. While my brother is pestering one audio artist I will be pestering another. I'll be cajoling some time from Arun my sound engineer mate to give the audio a clean up.

I'm also trying to get some people who are involved in the film industry to have a look at the film. Not as self promotion, I just need someone to have a look at the film objectively who can give me some advice about where I can trim fat.

While all this is going on I'm now going to bribe my cast and crew. If you are a member of the cast or crew and would like to see a rough cut, then I would be happy to show it to you....on condition that I procure from you one guest blog post.

I shall continue to stare at my empty inbox....

No comments:

Post a Comment